Every case is different and there are no guarantees.
Below are rough answers to some questions we hear frequently.

Table of Contents

  1. Will I have to go to Court for my speeding ticket?
  2. Do I need a lawyer for a speeding ticket?
  3. What courts do your lawyers cover?
  4. Will my insurance rates go up if I get a speeding ticket?
  5. Can I beat a speeding ticket or traffic charge?
  6. What do you charge for a speeding ticket?
  7. Will you accept a payment plan on speeding ticket cases?
  8. What is the Point System ... ?

Q: Will I have to go to Court for my speeding ticket?

A: No. In most cases our lawyers can resolve your speeding ticket or other traffic charge without you having to go to Court. We will send you a form that authorizes us to appear on your behalf and accept a plea bargain. There are a few courts in the area where you will have to attend, but that is rare.

Back to Top

Q: Do I need a lawyer for a speeding ticket?

A: No, but in many courts we will get you a better deal than you will get for yourself, with fewer points, a lower fine and less hassle. Read more about this on our "Why Hire Nassau Traffic Attorneys?" page.

Back to Top

Q: What courts do your lawyers cover?

A: Our lawyers handle speeding tickets and other traffic cases in all courts in Nassau County. See our Traffic Courts page for a list of the busier courts in the area. We can also help with many courts in other parts of New York State. If you are not sure which Court your case is assigned to call us at 516-396-6648.

Back to Top

Q: Will my insurance rates go up if I get a speeding ticket?

A: A speeding conviction or other moving violation will be reported on your New York State driving record. If you are insured in New York, points on your license can affect your insurance. It is possible that your insurance company won’t find out, but the odds are that they will. The best way to keep your rates down is to get a good lawyer to negotiate to get you a reduction.

For out-of-state drivers, there is no simple answer. It is our understanding that New York State reports moving violations to the "Drivers License Compact", and that this can affect insurance rates for out-of-state drivers. It seems like this is inconsistent. In some cases the home state never finds out. We have seen cases where they do. It is also our understanding that New York reports moving violations of Quebec and Ontario drivers directly to those provinces.

For New York drivers who get out-of-state tickets, these generally will not affect you. The exception is tickets in Quebec and Ontario. However, it is always possible that your insurance company will find out, and if they do, there is a strong chance your rates will go up.

When our lawyers negotiate plea bargains, we do our best to minimize the impact on your insurance rates. We will try to get you a reduction to a non-moving violation with no points, which does not affect your insurance. If that fails, there is at least one particular 2-point violation that does not affect insurance, and we will try for that. For out-of-state drivers, we might seek a reduction to something that has points in New York but not in your state or province.

Back to Top

Q: Can I beat a speeding ticket or traffic charge?

A: Most speeding tickets and traffic charges are difficult to beat and it will cost a lot more to fight than to make a deal. The police usually do a good job and most defendants are guilty. Still, the police sometimes slip up. The most common way you can beat a ticket is if the officer doesn’t show up. That is very rare. The main reason you would fight a ticket is if you already have several points and we can’t get a reduction that will save it. Also, if your job requires a clean license, it may be cost effective. Call us at 516-396-6648 and our lawyers will review your case.

Back to Top

Q: What do you charge for a speeding ticket?

A: Most Nassau County-area speeding and traffic cases are handled for a flat fee.
We also handle tickets issued in New York City and other parts of the state.
Fee's are higher for more serious offenses such as DWI and reckless driving.
Read more on our Fees & Payment page or call 516-396-6648 or 
email: ( 

Back to Top

Q: Will you accept a payment plan on speeding ticket cases?

A: No. We do accept payment by cash, check, and credit cards including 
MasterCard, Visa, Discover, etc.

Back to Top

Q: What is the Point System?

A: When you get convicted of a moving violation the DMV records points on your New York license. All moving violations are at least two points. Most are three points or more. New York recently added a new surcharge of $100 per year for three years if you get six points, plus $25 per year for each additional point. 

The following table shows the point values assigned to moving traffic violations. The "points" are assessed against your driving record based on the date you committed the violation, not the date you were convicted in court. If you accumulate 11 or more points in 18 months, you will be called to a DMV hearing, after which your license may be suspended or revoked. You will be offered the option of waiving the hearing or accepting a definite period of suspension.

Some license revocations and suspensions are mandatory and do not depend on points. These include three speeding violations within 18 months, and convictions involving alcohol or drugs.

Speeding (mph over posted limit) 
1 to 10 3 
11 to 20 4 
21 to 30 6 
31 to 40 8 
More than 40 11 
Reckless Driving 5 
Failure to stop for a School Bus 5 
Following too closely (tailgating) 4 
Inadequate Brakes 4 
(while driving employer’s vehicle) 2 
Failing to Yield Right-Of-Way 3 
Violation Involving Traffic Signal, Stop Sign, or Yield Sign 3 
Railroad Crossing Violation 3 
Improper Passing or Lane Use 3 
Leaving scene of an incident involving property damage or injury to an animal 3 
Child safety restraint violation 3 
Any other moving violation 2

Back to Top


Author information goes here.
Copyright © 2007  [THE LAW OFFICES OF DERRICK MAGWOOD LLP]. All rights reserved.
Revised: June 30, 2007 .